Tuesday, August 18, 2020

If only I was good at sitting still....

 So, I'm almost a month post-op...

Besides not really having the whole sleep-thing down, I feel SO good! I'm not really having pain other than incisional pain and pain when I get up/sit down. No complaints, though.

I developed a wound that I'm doing wet to dry dressing changes on 2x a day. That's my set back. Then, I developed a yeast infection under that wound from the moisture of the dressing. My wound is slowly healing and the yeast infection is almost gone.

In order to promote good wound healing, I've been trying to get as close to 100g of protein a day as I can. This is tough! I made a list of all my favorite high-protein snacks and posted it here. I know most of us know the common ones, but there were a few that I got tired of and needed to replace. I also LOVED the Hulk - Coffee (30 g) from Smoothie King (small filled me up)! My advice is to have protein-rich snacks at home and ready for when you're recovering because even without a wound, this will promote tons of good tissue growth. Also, Juven!! Again, even if you don't have a wound, this stuff is SO great for a good, healthy recovery. My home health nurse and all my nurse friends helping me with my wound have been so impressed by my wound healing process.  Not to mention, my nails are long for the first time EVER!

Anyway, back to the whole sitting still thing... I'm just not good at it. My helpers do a great job of trying to keep up with the yard, the house, my plants, the pets, etc.... :) but there's so much that I wish I could just get up and do myself but I know I'm not supposed to and I'm reminded of that often. I have played on my phone and Facebook WAY too much, even though I downloaded tons of podcasts, made lists of shows to watch, and had plenty of resting to-do's. I just don't do well sitting still. I'm definitely trying to be good, though.

This morning, I got up and went for my first walk around the neighborhood. It felt SO good! I hope to do it again each day going forward. I miss walking.

I'm going to make a post called, "If I had to do it over again..." where I'll list out things that I wished I'd done differently. But I'd do this again in a heartbeat for anyone considering :) I'll add to this list ongoing. 

Hoping to return to work after August 31! This would be about 5-6 weeks post-op. I'll keep you posted. Much love <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

It's BACK, SHE's back..

Three years ago, I was losing my mind in anticipation [of the beginning of my previvor journey] and finding myself knee deep in houseplants ...