Tuesday, October 1, 2024

October...Pinktober.. Breast Cancer Awareness Month - it's here!

 Phew, it's been a minute but happy October! 


Each year, we designate October as #BreastCancerAwareness Month. September ended and we spent the month celebrating Childhood Cancer Awareness. Next month, we'll hop into Lung Cancer Awareness Month. With cancer affecting 1 in 2 men or 1 in 3 women, it's important we designate these awareness months to increase awareness of how to prevent the cancer by type, look for signs and symptoms of abnormalities, and the importance of getting screened early for the best health outcome possible. 

To celebrate awareness of various cancer types, the American Cancer Society has partnered with the NFL through their Crucial Catch initiative to highlight the importance of getting screened to catch cancer early. Through this initiative, we celebrate cancer awareness across the rainbow.

In October, we celebrate progress made in the fight against breast cancer. Growing up, I remember my mom's breast cancer diagnosis being very scary as a child (I was 7) and later, I remember thinking, "This must be common" when my aunt was diagnosed again. And that pattern continues. While in 2024, more than 360,000 people will be diagnosed with breast cancer, there is hope. Advancements in early detection methods and support continue to increase the chances of survival. When caught in its earliest, localized stages, the 5-year relative survival rate of breast cancer is 99%. 

For me, advancements in the way of genetic testing bring me to the reason for my blog. Being a #previvor means I took the opportunity to address my cancer risk before it addressed me. In 2020, I underwent preventive double mastectomies on July 2, DIEP Reconstruction on July 21, and had my tubes removed on December 9. 3 surgeries in 6 months (or 5, really). 30 hours of anesthesia. A lot of medical debt. A lot of stress. Hair loss. But, HOPE!

In October, I celebrate my mom's survivorship and my previvorship. More people than ever are surviving breast cancer! While I'm drowning in medical debt due to starting mammograms and breast MRIs, abdominal ultrasounds, scopes, and countless other screenings, often not covered or underinsured by insurance, the financial risk was worth it to me. But did you know, up to 64% of people who receive cancer care are devastated by their financial burden and often, their financial toxicity causes them to make life-changing decisions about their treatment due to it's cost. For this reason, we continue to fight. And with urgency. 

For those who are here on their #previvor journey, know there is hope! In 2020, I remember dreaming of waterfalls (my favorite thing!) only to wake up and find a waterfall of a green substance coming from my chest. Due to an infection, this experience landed me in the emergency room with physicians who didn't want to treat me due to their own risk associated with surgical site infections. So I fought [for an antibiotic]. But there is hope. I remember stuffing my wounds with medihoney and other bandages. 3 times a day or more. I remember being stuck in that recliner for 6 months. And I remember not sleeping flat for a year. I remember how lonely it was and how I lost friends during my recovery. 

But today, after 4 years, my scar is beautiful! And my life is satisfying. The worst memories I have are the constipation after surgery (use SmoothMove tea - nothing else) and the effort and pain it took to get out of a chair for those 6 months. Otherwise, my experience has been more positive than negative. I have changed my lifestyle to prioritize super foods in my diet over empty carbs. I avoid foods that cause #swellybelly. I try to exercise 5 days a week. And, I quit drinking alcohol (April 17, 2023) to live my life to the fullest. A picture of health, eh?!


My scars led me down a path of celebrating and embracing a #ScarsAreSexy mentality for not only myself, but so many others. One of the most devastating things for me to witness was how many [mostly] women lose their spouses during their recovery. What's not sexy at all is being too shallow to love your partner with their new battle wounds and I'm here to shout it to the rooftops. To all who may find themselves in a similar situation, my reminder to you is your best is yet to come. Only let those who want to see you at your best come with you. Take the reigns and leave the rest behind <3 

With advancements in breast care, we use October to spread awareness. And we apply what we've learned in breast cancer to increase awareness in the other areas, like childhood and lung cancer. Because when we work together with purpose, we are stronger together. 

Thank you for reading, xo

Scar cream recipe:

Decarb hemp in oven at 200 for 45 -60 mins
Infuse to coconut oil in a double boiler (or 2 pans with water between) using cheesecloth for 2 hours. Or buy CBD oil and do the same with no cheesecloth.
3 parts infused coconut oil
1 part beesewax-melt slowly and separately before adding to coconut oil
T of local raw honey
T of vitamin E oil
Aloe
I add decarbed lavender to mine
A few drops of your fave essential oils
Mix everything, pour into containers when mixed


No comments:

Post a Comment

October...Pinktober.. Breast Cancer Awareness Month - it's here!

 Phew, it's been a minute but happy October!  Each year, we designate October as #BreastCancerAwareness Month. September ended and we s...